TelmoEsteves24

Soccerpulse Refugees

14 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, frstplce said:

Actually, Male, ages 15-25. That was the majority of the SoccerPulse visiting audience. I haven't paid so much attention to that lately, because the sample numbers are far lower now. I was right in the middle of that demographic at 18 when SoccerPulse launched in 2002. But I guess in 15 years the Internet has evolved quite a bit, though not all for the better IMO. 

As for Reddit, I do browse occasionally. But the structure is kind of a mess. It's really the worlds biggest, more disorganized forum. I think it's sadly resulted in a lot less discussion overall, as you have a few people who do post something of significance while everyone else settles for a "like" or thumbs up.

What I enjoyed the most in SoccerPulse (apart from the video section which what made me sign up in the first place), was the variety - there was so many users from all around the world. I think I had my 15 or 16 back then, now I'm currently 23y. As non english speaker, finding a Portuguese community there was a big thing for me and the forum was very well organized as well.

Several points in response to this overall topic:

1) If I consume an In N Out Burger within the next one thousand years, then I will post the photograph(s) in these forums. I have not forgotten the discussions I had with such people as Quintus, Carl Monday, Dreamlander, Peace, Rita, Pexbo, Scout F.C., Why Did I Change My Name, LearnGFX, etcetera on such topics as the New York City Football Club, bagels, Boxing Day football matches, internet streaming, and the Golden Gate Bridge.

2) A lot of medical breakthroughs we take for granted today (eradicating smallpox, repairing a torn A.C.L, Tommy John surgery, etcetera) were considered impossibilities hundreds of years ago, thus the reason I might still be alive at the age of 600.

3) I recently obtained a V.C.R., which enables me to watch football after the game has been played.

4) I used the V.C.R. to tape the Champions League Final, and during a commercial, someone tapped on the glass inside of my T.V. set, and asked me if I was watching the game on the iPhone Seven. It was a commercial for the iPhone Seven.

5) I don't know anything about smartphones and I don't want to know, thus the reason I was watching the recording of the Champions League Final through my V.C.R.

6) People used to ask me regularly if I ever made posts about football, and the answer to that question is yes. This post here in the Lounge is an example of such a post.

Edited by John Flushing
Aubrey de Gray says that we will live to be one thousand.

I am so nostalgic now and very touched. So much memories in soccerpulse forums , it was the greatest ever soccer forums and the members were very active and like one family , the best thing was the community. Can't believe 8 years had passed now ! The Video section used to be my favorite. I have always showed up here on soccershouts asking how we could contribute and come with ways to make soccershouts the next soccerpulse , but I think soccerpulse was a special case that can't be replicated again in this era as so much stuff has changed including the Internet communication platforms and the great active contributers to soccerpulse (whom I am still in touch with some) grew up now and have other life duties to take care of.  RIP soccerpulse. One of the remarkable milestones of my youth.

There are really only a small number of forums left, in all subjects, that continue to be very large and active. Had SoccerPulse not shut down, I believe it would have continued to be one of those larger boards.

This should bring back some memories: https://web.archive.org/web/20080729224125/http://www.soccerpulse.com/forum/

1 person likes this