Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Flushing

Things you hate.

226 posts in this topic

I can see where you are coming from in regards to piercings/tattoos. I also won't deny that sometimes the art is incredibly well done and highly detailed. Obviously a good number of people would disagree, but I would much rather see that kind of talent put to good use creating that art on canvas that could be displayed on a wall instead of a body.

And yeah, you might look at it as discrimination, but look up the worlds top 50 CEO's, and find me someone with a long tattoo down there arm. Sure, it works for sports players, musicians, and lots of blue collar jobs. Hell no one cares if the guy working a front end loader on a construction site is covered in tattoos. But in other environments it would call into question that persons professional demeanor. How about seeing your doctor come into the room inked with the grim reaper on his arm?

...a 2011 study by CareerBuilder shows that 31% of surveyed employers ranked “having a visible tattoo

My point of view was that I simply accept tattoos\piercings and it doesn't affect my opinion on people. Whether it professional skills, intellect or something else.

Worlds top 50 CEO's, those are just numbers, opinion, like yours, mine or someone else. Statistics which proves only one thing - group of people have something common in mind & opinion to believe. Which doesn't particularly means that this is obvious one and only truth. You see, back in few centuries people strongly believed the world is flat. As we all know, all of them were mistaken. I am not mantain that my opinion are the one & correct though. I just know there are many things around you might not like. You don't really have to. But you may just accept it.

Hell no one cares if the guy working a front end loader on a construction site is covered in tattoos. But in other environments it would call into question that persons professional demeanor

Here I finally undertsand what do you mean here. Main priority as others people opinion and what should other cares about you. I think it is just some sort of social slavery where you concerns about what people will think about you so you have to be as normal and as civil as possible (by the society standards). I undertsand that and frankly I will not deny, I still have some issues with that. I still sometimes do cares what people might think of me in some cases. However I do not think this is right.

As for doctor having the grim reaper on his arm..

First I wanted to go through my view of modern medicine but then just dropped that idea, ti will cause more distraction and off-topic. So my response that I feel completely fine with that, whether it will be my doctor, or teacher, world scientist, lawyer or even NASA astronaut who will fly me on another planet and who I shall trust my entire life. Arm covered with tattoo means nothing for me, neither the entire body. Unless of course there is some offensive purpose of it. That different.

May I ask, if someone who you admire and like or perhaps a friend of yours, will get a tattoo, would you change your opinion about him\her? Will you like that person less? Silly question I know, hope it won't offend you.

On the other side, let's imagine one the greatest theoretical physicist, Stephen Hawking, one day will get himslef a tattoo. Sounds extremely ridiculous, but just let's imagine. So will his intellect or abilites decrease? Will the world doubt his knowledge or stop to believe in him? I do not think so. I also doubt he will lose his job or admiration. It's just silly.

You comparison on better and advanced job is also pretty relative. For one it might be a good job while for others it will be just huge waste of time. I also think not everytime your promotion depends on your professional qualities, skills or abilites, we all know it.

I think I will stop here. You certainly knows where I'm came from haha. I still do agree with you in som cases - I am in no rush to get the tattoo\piercing and if ever will, I will definitely think long & hard enough to make sure I do the right thing (for myself). Damage your body just for the sake of it might be not the best idea, but still if someone decided to go with it - fine by me.

I was not really serious about restricting video downloads and force people to post alot for the sake of it. I am pretty much dislike all kind of spam. Was just a bit curious about discussion, I certainly enjoeyd our conversation on Xbox1\PS 4 topic, although not much participants were involved, just you and me basically. But patience is our best friend here. Just need to continue some subjects and one day others might join.

Even 2 years later, I think it is still just an issue that SoccerShouts started strongly as a video site

What do you mean here by issue? 

May I ask, if someone who you admire and like or perhaps a friend of yours, will get a tattoo, would you change your opinion about him\her? Will you like that person less? Silly question I know, hope it won't offend you.

Actually, that's a really good question. Depends on how you look at it. Would I think any less of them? Not all all. It's their body, in the end I only care what I do with my own. Were it a male friend I wouldn't think much of it at all. Were it a female friend whom I found to be attractive, would I find them less so with a tattoo? Yes, absolutely, without question.

To go even a bit deeper into that question and further stress my opinion on this subject, consider this: At the point this subject came up at the beginning of the month, my girlfriend was discussing her own consideration of getting one. Now, keep in mind this is a girl that I have been with for over 5 years now. The thought entered and remains in my head that after 5 happy years together, I'm not sure I could continue to be in that relationship if she went through with it. And this is a girl I would otherwise be considering marrying in the next few years. So to further answer the above, yes, I would find even my own girlfriend less appealing if she were to get a tattoo.

What makes it really interesting is that I'm generally a nice person. Easy to get along with, and rarely consider the word "hate" when considering other things people do. You'll notice that in my original post I even said I'm "not fond" of piercings. In other words, I don't overly like it, but I can deal with it. And at least a piercing can close up later. I also don't smoke or do drugs, but I have friends that do. Again, don't like it and don't participate, but that's about it. But I hate tattoos. I can see the pictures of the artwork and as I said above find some of the work to look incredible, but when I actually see the tattoo on a persons body I can only feel disgust. It's a strange situation that I figure might only be worked out after some long hours on a psychiatrists couch.

Edit: I meant to include this originally but forgot. When looking up those stats yesterday, I came across and absolutely brilliant comment by a random person on the web that I do 100% agree with.

People who hate the look of tattoos do not care about your IQ, credentials, education, why you got the tattoo or what it means to you. All we know is when we see a woman (or man for that matter) with tattoos of any kind we find the tattoos repulsive. It is a VISCERAL reaction. I will actually try to avoid looking at people with tattoos because I find them VISUALLY repugnant. You may be the most wonderful person in the world but I do not want to look at you or your tats. For me it is not a character issue as much as it is an aesthetic one.

'frstplce', on 12 Aug 2013 - 10:27 PM, said: Even 2 years later, I think it is still just an issue that SoccerShouts started strongly as a video site

What do you mean here by issue?

Meaning, SS never really had many discussions ongoing. People initially used the site more for video and over time the video sections still continue to grow ever larger while discussions are still limited.

Edited by frstplce
1 person likes this

Although I know that your question is addressed to Frstplce, I will state that I have had numerous friends who have pierced their noses, and gotten tattoos I do not admire, and that does not make me like them any less. While I still think it looks disgusting, I am nonetheless friends with a person. I am not friends with a person's appearance.

Edited by John Flushing
1 person likes this

People who hate the look of tattoos do not care about your IQ, credentials, education, why you got the tattoo or what it means to you. All we know is when we see a woman (or man for that matter) with tattoos of any kind we find the tattoos repulsive. It is a VISCERAL reaction. I will actually try to avoid looking at people with tattoos because I find them VISUALLY repugnant. You may be the most wonderful person in the world but I do not want to look at you or your tats. For me it is not a character issue as much as it is an aesthetic one.

If you had been started your tattoo\piercing discussion with this affirmation, I perhaps could ask you very different questions or never ask any :P But you brought the job example and world statistics so I couldn't resist.

On the other hand, without any questions we may not see this quote. Beauty of conversation.

This is explains (and expands) this subject and makes more and more sense to me (it also may means I am quite slow on understending things), and I agree this is just great comment and I like it very much! I also added few new words in my vocabulary so thank you. Now I can see it in different way. Visceral reaction is like an impulsive reaction, right? Unconscious expression. Funny thing is, many people who got a tattoo, actually followed the same way once they saw it on someone's body or elsewhere. Simple impulse to get it just because it looks awesome, cool and everyone around have it so I need it too.

Not everyone of course, but infortunately, quite many do it like that.

As for my previous question I appreciate your explanation and quite frankly, I do not know whether this will be the right word, sympathize you. As far as I accept and even like tattoos I am fully aware this something you should think hard and long enough before considering to get yourslef one. You need to understand the reason for doing this and also responsibility for your action, becasue it is not something like new earring which you can easily just took off in the future if you won't like it anymore.

Hope everything will be just fine for both of you, who knows maybe it is a possibility to change one of yours mind. Or both.

People initially used the site more for video and over time the video sections still continue to grow ever larger while discussions are still limited.

I guess this is just a reason and purpose of recent SS forums. I cannot say what was the old SoccerPulse about, as I wasn't a reagular user and never really paid enough attention to discussion.

I am fed up and had it with the random strangers who barrage me with annoying questions about my vehicle every time I go to buy fuel. I just want to be left alone. I want to pump my fuel in peace. I do not know you. I am not interested in your conversation.

I hate the fact that the English language only has one word for love (despite the fact that there are other languages which have multiple words). If I do choose to get married someday, then the love I have for my wife and the love I have for my daughter are going to be two very different things, in the same way that apples and oranges are two different things. If there is only one word for love, then by that logic, there should also be only one word for apples/oranges/grapefruits/etcetera.

This ultimately means that I cannot tell my female friends how much I love them. I fear it might sound like I'm being romantic towards them, when I am in no way being romantic towards them. Whoever invented the English language really had no clue what they were doing.

I am fed up and had it with the random strangers who barrage me with annoying questions about my vehicle every time I go to buy fuel. I just want to be left alone. I want to pump my fuel in peace. I do not know you. I am not interested in your conversation.

What are you driving that attracts attention? I work in a fairly good neighborhood with Mercedes, BMW's and the like all around, and I'm driving a Ford Taurus. I might as well be riding a bicycle for how much attention a car like that attracts.

This ultimately means that I cannot tell my female friends how much I love them. I fear it might sound like I'm being romantic towards them, when I am in no way being romantic towards them. Whoever invented the English language really had no clue what they were doing.

English is all about context. "I love you, man!" does not in a normal context imply you want him in bed later. Similarly, sharing a tender moment with a wife/girlfriend and adding an "I love you" does indeed imply romantic notions. Hence telling a close female friend that you "love her like a sister" avoids the potential awkwardness that may appear implied by "I love you" to the same friend.

But as a native English speaker this just seems normal to me. I do wonder how some of our other members feel who may have only learned English as a second or third language feel about the specific contexts in the language. Being as I have zero fluency in any other language, I have no basis to make comparisons.

Ah, that looks familiar now. Posted over 2 years ago and in that time I sort of forgot. Not sure why people would bug you about it though. Granted if you rolled up on a Ducati or something I might spend time admiring it, but I still wouldn't bother you. People can be strange.

My personal theory is that enthusiastic people like to talk about their motorcycles and when they see a fellow motorcyclist, they assume that I like to talk about mine as much as they like to talk about theirs.

To me driving is a chore. It is simply what has to be done-nothing more and nothing less. I ultimately have as much as enthusiasm for driving a motorcycle as I have for using a clothes washer to do laundry.

Edited by John Flushing