Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Flushing

Things you hate.

226 posts in this topic

I hate when people lose their season tickets for frivolous reasons. I disagree with what the powers-that-be are doing.

C3088C60-C766-4660-81F7-2C5D69159723-579-000000F05BA8FE40.jpg

That is ridiculous. That's one of the main reasons why the atmospheres in the Premier League stadiums aren't what they used to be.

I hate the fact that the Men's World Cup is so tiny.

teil33_ronaldo_pokal_en,property=original.jpg

If it is the most important trophy in the world then it should at least have some heft to it (and perhaps be an actual cup).

stanleycup_061511_article_story_main.jpg

I hate the fact that they no longer sell honeycombs in the grocery store. Years ago I used to love eating the honeycomb along with the honey.

Grocery store, nah. Haven't seen it in a very long time. Better off with specialty store or farmers markets. I know of at least 2-3 places within a reasonable distance where I could get it were I so inclined. You just might have to look around a bit outside of major grocery chains.

Could also try online. Here's a place I've dealt with in the past and highly recommend for a friendly, independent company: http://www.flyingbeeranch.net/CombHoney.html

I hate the after effects of a spicy pizza :lol:

I will bump this thread back up after a period of inactivity. After a discussion came up with the girlfriend this morning, I've decided that I have a general hatred of tattoos. I'm also not fond of body piercings on men and most unusually placed piercings on females.

Together they seem to be increasing in prevalence and I find this a topic that I have come upon far more frequently in the past several years. I for one miss them being primarily reserved for tribal purposes and prison inmates. When did people stop caring about professional appearance? I'm not sure how hiring policies are adapting, but I know when I was charge of hiring at a previous job about a decade ago I had to immediately turn down any applicant that would have a visible tattoo when wearing a short sleeve shirt.

We have a pretty varied crowd here from many countries around the world, so I'm quite interested to hear what others have to think about this subject.

Several points in response:

1) I do think that tattoos in general look disgusting (link), although I will admit that I have admired some tattoos.

2) I absolutely refuse to wear either a pair of earrings or a necklace. While I have seen some men who do look good with such jewelery, I do not believe that I would look good with such jewelry. This, for many years, created a dilemma for me, because my favourite animal is the bottlenose dolphin. But because necklaces and pairs of earrings would both look absolutely ridiculous on me, I was not able to express my love of dolphins the way that most women can (when they wear necklaces and pairs of earrings).

nl10447.jpg

shell-earrings-09.jpg

3) I eventually took the time to think outside the box, and I bought myself both a dolphin necktie, and a dolphin belt buckle, and a pair of seashell cufflinks. I was absolutely determined to find accessories that would look good on me, and I eventually succeeded thank goodness.

h145.jpg

4) The aforementioned belt buckle was a hassle for me to deal with, because the piece of leather was sold separately from the buckle. Once the buckle arrived from the post office, I had to drive to four different stores (Phillip Van Heusen, Wal-mart, Kohls, and Kmart, in that order), before finally finding a piece of leather (at Kmart) that both fit me, and worked for me (if that even makes any sense).

When a woman buys herself a necklace, the chain comes with the pendant (traditionally). If the chain comes with the pendant, when a woman buys herself a necklace, then it would stand to reason that the piece of leather should come with the buckle, when a man buys himself a belt.

5) I hate having to put my belt on counterclockwise (to prevent the three dolphins from swimming upside-down). Before purchasing the aforementioned belt, I always put my belt on clockwise, because I am right-handed.

6) Furthermore, I hate when I put my belt on only to realize that I missed a belt loop (it is so annoying). I have to unbuckle the belt and then re-thread it through all of the belt loops.

7) Bellybutton piercing looks disgusting in my opinion (no offense). I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how there are men in the world who think that bellybutton piercing looks attractive (I feel the same way about nose piercing). To me it is anything but attractive. If anything, it grosses me out.

8) I dislike the fact that men can take their shirts off in public but women cannot (please feel free to disagree). As a matter of public decency I wish that men would keep their shirts on (thus the reason I swim with my stomach covered), but if women do choose to take their shirts off, then at least they are for equality.

9) Because this is a football forum I hereby post an image of David Beckham which is relevant to the topic at hand.

david_beckham-2639.jpg

Edited by John Flushing

Hmm, thought I might have had more responses here, then I remembered that no one really posts any more.

It is good to see I'm not alone though here. I like your interest in the dolphins there John; creative solution so as not to have to wear a girly looking necklace. Can't say I would have considered all of those options. But then, I don't wear anything that could be considered an accessory, aside from a holster for my cell phone. No watch, rings, necklaces, or even belt buckles. But I'm mostly a jeans and t-shirts guy.

7) Bellybutton piercing looks disgusting in my opinion (no offense). I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how there are men in the world who think that bellybutton piercing looks attractive (I feel the same way about nose piercing). To me it is anything but attractive. If anything, it grosses me out.

Agreed, and an annoying WTF because unless she's wearing a short top, it's one of those things like the dang tattoos that don't reveal themselves right away. Nose piercings at least make themselves known rather quickly.

As for the pic of Becks up there, damn near classy were it not for those shining studs in the ears. Never understood what would drive a straight man to having pierced ears and shiny jewelry there.

After keeping an eye for this no doubt quite popular subject of discussion, time has come for me to join and share my thoughts on it. I was thinking from where to start, thus decided to split it my opinion on several parts.

Back to my teens age I loved the look of the tattoos, thinking it just so cool & awesome thus you might guess, I thought I will get one in the near future. Some years after I grew up a bit and changed my mind completely. I believed these things nothing like waste of time and cause nothing but spoiling your body, I saw no purpose in such action, which was associated with prison stuff. Cannot say I had hatred for them though. I just disliked them enough.

Some more years has passed and yet again my opinion has changed, as I grew up a little bit more. I do not have particular negative feelings by now and quite neutral about body art. Well, I might even like some of the pictures and who knows, one day may get myself one, who knows. I just feel like I accept it and think there is no harm in having a tattoo.

That's pretty much my similar view on piercings. Although I remember when I was a kid my mom wanted me to have earring, it was almost an obsession! I never liked that idea and refused it. After few year of persuasions she finally gave up.. However, soon has come that time when I started to like the tattoos and was considering to get that earring haha, because also thought it actually great thing.

Although, my view on piercings quite neutral now, I don't really desperate to pierce my body. I just do not like the idea of some items giving me uncomfortable feelings.

Yet after all those years I still don't have any tattoos or earrings\piercings and feel pretty good about it. I have some thoughts about tattoos though, but it not going to happen soon.

Moving forward..

No watch, rings, necklaces, or even belt buckles. But I'm mostly a jeans and t-shirts guy.

That's sounds exactly like myself. Apart maybe from jeans & t-shirts, as it usually depends on time of the year and weather.

For some reason I refuse to wear any necklaces, perhaps because of the incident back to my childhood. It gives me feeling of suffocation. I also refuse to wear the Cross, not just because I am not into religion. As some people might find it offensive but I just don't understand the idea of wearing the weapon of torture on your neck.

Now another subject which got my attention..

When did people stop caring about professional appearance? I'm not sure how hiring policies are adapting, but I know when I was charge of hiring at a previous job about a decade ago I had to immediately turn down any applicant that would have a visible tattoo when wearing a short sleeve shirt.

Frankly I think it would be quite a discrimination. I know what you mean by prefessional appearance and partially agree, however the truth is, appearances can be deceiving. I also had the chance to hiring people and funny thing is, those having so called professional appearance, caused me more trouble than more casual or unusual looking ones.

Thus, if hiring policies would be like that, half of the nowadays footballers (and many others sport people) will be without jobs. Well, nevermind football players, more than half of the population of Planet Earth will be unemployed or forced to look like they do not wish to.

As this is football\soccer oriented forums, here is example:

Meet Daniel Agger

noka.jpg

jpfk.jpg

He plays for Liverpool and recenly named new vice-captain of the club. He also captain of his national team (Danmark), one of the best defenders in world football. Very intelligent, calm and footbal wise person, loyalty and honour not just a words for him, his dedication is exceptional. He is a true role model for young players and great example as well. Runs his own foundation to help children.

Yet he has lots of tattoos, you can hardly find clean piece of his body. Not really match the 'professional appearance', right? Bot how you will think of him, looking at his body or his deeds?

I know, that might be not the best of example and I am a bit of exploits the subject, but this is also good reflection on my view.

Now, get back to the subject, I think that the way you think about body art nothing but just matter of taste. There's obviously some thing in your life which some people might dislike as well. That is the way of self expression. 

In my opinion, most important part of this question is not the tattoo itslef but the content of it. That what I might call professional appearance, thus offensive, discriminational, rude or inappropriate pictures or symbols ain't. I will neither accept nor appreacite them.

I think that judge people on what they look like ergo tattoos or piercings, closing etc not the real thing. Good looking human being might be a living devil, while some weird looking man or woman might be the nicest person you'd ever met.

@@John Flushing,

I might not agree with everything you said here, but I like the way you expressed your point of view. Thank you.

Hmm, thought I might have had more responses here, then I remembered that no one really posts any more.

Well, this is the soccer\football boards so you might expect that kind of response. Also most of the users here just because of the videos not conversations. 

Anyway, did you ever think of making this place more discussion oriented? I am not saying to force people make 100 posts before they can download videos or any other limitations (although it might not be that idea), but perhaps move discussion sections up? Make only one section for videos and the rest for discussion ? :P

ps: Man, that took me ~ 2 hours to finish the post.. :lol:

Edited by fobiuz.fr