Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toño

What book are you reading now?

32 posts in this topic

We already have music & movies threads out there and I thought, the book one won't hurt. Some of you certainly like to spend some time reading, right? Let's share our interests and preferences?

I think that knowledge is one of the most important thing in this world, you may lose everything but your knowledge will forever stay with you. According to quantum physics, information cannot be lost. You may destroy the entire world, but information about it (including what happened in the past) will be stored in Space.

I always liked to read. I remember when I was a young kid I wanted to be a reader when I'll grow up haha. I haven't read that much when I actually grew up though, but for the last couple of years I got back to reading and it is big part of my life once again.

Now my addiction is Carlos Castaneda. I discovered him not so long ago, but he is already one of my favourite writers. Carlos for me like a teacher I never had. He already changed the world for me and keep helping to understand many things, to see them different.

I am about to finish 'Tales of Power' right now, his fourth book. I ordered few more (books of him) and package already delivered recently. Simply incredible.

What is your current book? Do you like to read a lot or just do it occasionally? Would you rather get e-book or paper cover? Feel free to join the conversation and share some thoughts.

Aw man, seeing this thread made me fire up my Kindle and start reading some books that I've never got round to.

I haven't read consistently in a few years, like you I used to love it when I was young but it's just drifted away from me. I'm determined to get back into it and I've just started on the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

As for my preferred genre, I've always been a huge fan of fantasy, especially long drawn out series. I've read many other genres and read some incredible books in them but I'm always drawn back to fantasy. Honestly, I've never heard of Carlos Castaneda, what type of books does he right and why exactly do they appeal to you?

E-book vs paper doesn't matter too much to me. My very favorite books are all paper backs as I love having a physical copy of something I really enjoyed, although I got a Kindle last year and that is picking up some speed with my personal library as it's just so convenient. 

I am currently reading Jonathan Wilson's updated and revised Inverting the Pyramid. I am really enjoying this book. I find it quite entertaining. Only problem is I am learning so much and retaining so little!

I am currently reading Jonathan Wilson's updated and revised Inverting the Pyramid. I am really enjoying this book. I find it quite entertaining. Only problem is I am learning so much and retaining so little!

I thought about picking that up. What exactly does it entail? Is it just a history of tactics?

It is not just tactics it is also about the personalities of coaches and playes in the past. It is full of entertaining anecdotes and match descriptions. It can be a little dry at times, but overall it's pretty awesome. I am only half way through, but I am getting more and more into it as it is approaching modern times!

I knew this thread might attract your attention, Ben, and you may want to share some of your interests and latest reading ;) Pleasure to see you got into your books again, that's a great feeling.

Honestly, I've never heard of Carlos Castaneda, what type of books does he right and why exactly do they appeal to you?

That is a good question, I noticed your post I think that day you made it, but was struggling to give you proper answer what Castaneda's books are all about. Surprisingly, recently I have started to read his new book and the answer has been found. It was written by Carlos himslef in such a good & intuitive way, in that book' prologue. I will mix my own words & pieces of this prologue for explanation.

Carlos Castaneda was an anthropologist, interested in studying the uses of medicinal plants among the Indians of the Southwest and northern Mexico. However that research 'evolved into something else over the years as a consequence'. Carlos has met a mystery man, Yaqui Indian from northern Mexico, don Juan Matus and everything has changed for him since that day.

From the prologue: 'The study of medicinal plants was superseded by the study of a belief system which seemed to cut across the boundaries of at least two different cultures.'

Thus from studying plants he switched into the learning an ancient knowledge, as he described 'which in our time is commonly known as sorcery, and which is thought to be a primitive form of medical or psychological science, but which in fact is a tradition of extremely self-disciplined practitioners and extremely sophisticated praxis.'

Castaneda's first book was published as an actual work of anthropology by the University of California (where he was studying) as his research in that discipline. That 'book' was more like journal to be honest, with dates and notes. Eventually journal has been 'transformed' into an actual book series and it became really his autobiography. 'Peculiar autobiography' as Carlos called it in this prologue. There are still many doubts whether it is an actual story of his life or just a fiction, but it's extremely enjoyable journey nevertheless.

It is suggested to begin with the 3d book in case to not be scary away and then get back to first two books just for better understanding. I did ignore it though and started with the very first, the 'journal'.

The reason beyond my interest to Carlos Castaneda is that one of my favourite writers was Castaneda's successor, in some way.

I knew nothing about him, neither what person he is nor what his books are all about. So it was just full blind reading for me.

My first impression I might describe as ancient inner fear and the book itself quite scared me. But I just couldn't resist and it was already too late, so I continued ;)

I am about to finish his sixth book now, 'The Eagle's Gift', just few chapters left. Speechless to describe it really.

Well, as you may be little bit more familiar with my books, can you tell me what are yours about? Those Mistborn series, is it fantasy genre as well?

@@bubaglobalj,

Pleasure to see another book enthusiast here!

We may already think about creating some sort of book geek society ahaha  :lol:

1 person likes this

I recently read The First Phone Call From Heaven and it was incredible.

Haven't updated this thread for so long. I'm reading two books at the moment. Carlos Castaneda 'The Wheel of Time', more like a tome of quotes from all his previous books, but it gives you good insight about everything you've read.

Another one that I recently started, is from German author, Eckhart Tolle 'The Power of Now'. Great book on how to silence your ever talking mind and enjoy this very now moment ;)

I used to read loads when i was younger not so much now

1 person likes this

What's the reason behind it, Luke ? ;)