Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lukemeister

Breaking news Thread.

112 posts in this topic

:lol: what a fool.

1 person likes this

I'm just glad he didn't steal from me. I was actually in Philadelphia a couple of weeks before the aforementioned incident. The Liberty Bell proved to be a lot smaller than I expected. The legend of the Liberty Bell made me think that the Liberty Bell was going to be somewhat taller than a six-foot-tall human being.

Whats everyones thoughts on this Coronavirus outbreak? I am not sure at the minute, hopefully it wont get too bad

On 3/1/2020 at 9:34 AM, Lukemeister said:

Whats everyones thoughts on this Coronavirus outbreak? I am not sure at the minute, hopefully it wont get too bad

I have a bad feeling here in the US. I'm sure some counties will handle it better than ours, but our health care system is a mess.

Some bits of an article to give you some idea:

A huge proportion of American workers simply don’t have the economic power to stay home, whether to care for family members or even to give themselves a chance to recover from a viral infection in solitude, or the legal right to take off from work without losing their jobs or pay.

Millions of Americans, moreover, don’t have access to healthcare without shouldering significant bills. That will keep many people out of doctors’ offices or even emergency rooms where they might be screened for the novel coronavirus.

About a quarter of all American workers have no right to sick leave, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. In service industries — where employees must report to their places of employment to work and are most likely to come in contact with the public — more than half have no sick leave.

Even where sick leave is available in the U.S., typically by state or local ordinance, it’s often unpaid. In Britain, however, workers are entitled to sick pay of at least $120 a week for up to seven months, at their employer’s expense. In France, the government and employers together cover 90% of a worker’s pay for up to 30 days of sick leave, 67% after that.

In the U.S., no federal law requires paid sick leave.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-02-29/coronavirus-sick-days-health-insurance

So many grocery shelves are empty. I feel like this is even worse than the Y2K scare, a scare which I am more than old enough to remember. People are buying every item in the store, as they prepare for the end of the world. It is better to be safe than to be sorry, and I wish I could stockpile food just as I did in 1999, but it is hard to stockpile food right now, because people are more terrified in 2020 than in 1999, apparently.

This selfish person should just give away the hand sanitizer for free. He was hoping to earn money but now he has lost money. Hopefully the grocery store(s) will never refund his money.

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver SUV to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tennessee, they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from "little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods," his brother said. "The major metro areas were cleaned out."

Matt Colvin stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Colvin said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, "it was crazy money." To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic.

The next day, Amazon pulled his items and thousands of other listings for sanitizer, wipes and face masks. The company suspended some of the sellers behind the listings and warned many others that if they kept running up prices, they'd lose their accounts. EBay soon followed with even stricter measures, prohibiting any U.S. sales of masks or sanitizer.

Now, while millions of people search in vain for hand sanitizer to protect themselves from the spread of the coronavirus, Colvin is sitting on 17,700 bottles of the stuff with little idea where to sell them.

Source.

On 3/13/2020 at 9:50 PM, John Flushing said:

So many grocery shelves are empty. I feel like this is even worse than the Y2K scare, a scare which I am more than old enough to remember. People are buying every item in the store, as they prepare for the end of the world. It is better to be safe than to be sorry, and I wish I could stockpile food just as I did in 1999, but it is hard to stockpile food right now, because people are more terrified in 2020 than in 1999, apparently.

Quite a mess out there. Really feel for the people out of work because of this. I still feel like everything has been a bit of an overreaction though. The long term economic implications are going to be devastating. Business closures, unemployment, etc. Risks aside, I'm actually pretty happy to still be working.

We have just been  put on lockdown in britain, im at risk of losing my job