Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frstplce

Recent Downtime - Additional Scheduled Nov. 13

4 posts in this topic

In regards to the recent unplanned downtime, our host provided us with the following information.

Due to the unforseen occurrence of an MySQL Crash on November 6th 2011, we have had to make an urgent move to restore the chestnut system template back to the last official backup date of November 5th 2011. As this occurs the system will appear to be offline till the full recovery is done, after this has finalized SpeedySparrow and it's operations will move to limiting down any known MySQL or other related issues by moving current customers from the current system/network in to a secondary unit that we have attained - this will occur over a weeks period and should provide a new level of power to ensure that sites and services operate under the best performance possible and to which will eradicate these issues and will ensure that future transactions done on the server are kept in proper order.

While I do have a slightly more recent backup made several hours later on Nov. 6, I'm not going to ask to have this restored. To do so would cause us additional downtime until the backup can be uploaded and then imported. As this consists of less than 24 hours of posts, it really isn't worth the trouble.

There is another planned outage for upgrades on November 13, though this is hardware related and should not cause and major downtime or data loss.

SpeedySparrow would like to inform that on Sunday 11/13/2011 00:00 EST until Sunday 11/13/2011 06:00 EST we will be performing maintenance on our SAN Network to improve the equality of the performance which should be seen after the process has been completed. This notification comes well in advance so you can prepare your sites for any interruptions that may occur during this period, we do encourage that you do maintain your own backups at least a day/week prior to this maintenance taking effect being (November 12 2011) to avoid any interruptions in backups that you may take on (November 13 2011) or any losses that could occur.

During the maintenance period customers may experience slower than normal connections in and out of the server as well as possible 30-60 second time-out delays whilst the upgrade is taking place. Even though we do not expect any periods longer than 30-60 seconds on the time-outs to occur we cannot always make a guarantee on these figures to stand which means that longer unexpected time-outs may last whilst the SAN does undergo it's expected maintenance.

:/ I ll be bored that day. I ll probably fixup some youtube updates for us that day then.

Well, I'm calling it "downtime" more than they are. "During the maintenance period customers may experience slower than normal connections in and out of the server as well as possible 30-60 second time-out delays whilst the upgrade is taking place. " According to the host the sites should remain mostly online but with slowdowns and brief inaccessibility. Won't know until it is happening though exactly how much it will affect the site.

The scheduled maintenance for Nov. 13 has been completed. The maintenance caused a full outage rather than the 30-60 second access delays that were anticipated, but at least we knew this was coming. Our host is currently discussing the possibility of moving to a new data center, which may cause another planned outage. I will be sure to announce anything I am made aware of.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 56 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online