You are viewing the site as a guest. Registration is required to view links, post, send personal messages, and chat in the Shoutbox. Click above to sign in or create an account.

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please, no requests in the shout box. Requests will be deleted. If you have at least 3 posts or premium membership you can use the Requests forum.

@  jeremy : (22 May - 01:33 PM) haha
@  Toño : (22 May - 11:54 AM) See no disgrace here. Call it whatever you want/like, the meaning will stay the same. We should learn from animals as they does not call each other by names and still able to live in balance. Names are pretty but useless. At the end the most important thing is to have fun. All that matters. ;)
@  ezpana : (22 May - 08:16 AM) yeah, it is a disgrace to call our most popular, most beautiful sport anything other than football or variations (Fussball, Fútbol,..)
@  FootballFan1894 : (21 May - 05:50 PM) Yeah, sorry about the length of the post, it was my first posting and I wasn't sure if there was a maximum word limit! By the way I hope no one thought I was having a go at Toño, I was only having a go at the daft 'on foot' theory, that seems to have found it's way around the web in the last 10-15 years or so.
@  Toño : (21 May - 01:22 PM) No shame in losing the award to shout like this! It is rather honour :D Well thought and written,@FootballFan1894. I will get back to this subject and reply, once I will clear my head and get some good time for rest. Just too tired ater work right now.
@  frstplce : (21 May - 07:39 AM) Sorry, Toño, you just lost your award for longest Shoutbox post. Yikes! This kind of discussion is really better in a topic where it won't be so easily lost.
@  FootballFan1894 : (21 May - 06:59 AM) In reply to Toño, yes 'soccer' is a British term, it is usually credited to Charles Wreford-Brown at Oxford University in the 1880's, but as far as Britain is concerned it has never been in common use. It was used mainly by University and ex-Public School boys and some of the media, but never by the majority of the people. In fact up until the late 1940's most of the people would not have even heard the word being used. Then it became a bit more wide spread, but still most called it football. Growing up in Britain in the 60's and 70's I never heard anyone call it 'soccer'. The first time I heard anyone call it this, is when I moved to New Zealand. And now usually only die-hard rugby fans use the word 'soccer' in New Zealand, most football fans call the game football.

You say that ‘it was called football not because you're using your feet, but because you are ON your feet’. I assume you are referring to the theory ‘The word football was coined to refer to games that were played on foot (as opposed to on horses.)’ However, there has been no historical evidence to prove this theory. And it is just theory and nothing else, put about by people who try to justify calling Association Football, 'soccer'. And it is a fairly recent theory.

Let's look at the evidence we do have. The word 'Football' has been in use in England since at least 1314, this is when the Lord Mayor of London on behalf of Edward II, issued a writ to prohibit football in England. However as the ruling classes used French as their language the de cree was written in French and not English.

The oldest known use of the word 'Football' in English was in 1409, when Henry IV issued a proclamation forbidding the leving of money for 'Foteball'.

Then we come to a book written circa 1660 by Francis Willughby called 'Book of Plaies', which describes 'Football' as a kicking game.

In 1780 'A General Dictionary of the English Language' by Thomas Sheridan defines 'Football' as "a ball driven by the foot".

If that is not enough, in 1801 'Sports and Pastimes of the People of England' by Joseph Strutt, tells us that 'Football' "is so called because the ball is driven about with the feet instead of the hands."

Now getting back to this theory that football referred to games that were played on foot as opposed to on horses, this as I said before has no evidence. As we know the word 'Football' is an English one. So for the horseback theory to be correct then there would have to at least have been a medieval ball game played on horseback as opposed to on foot, played in Britain. Yet the earliest record of such a game played in the British Isles is polo, which was introduced to England in 1834. As we have already seen the word 'Football' had already been in the English language for over 400 years by then.

‘Soccer’ is a word that has never been very popular with the working classes in Britain, who usually prefer to call it 'Football' or 'footie', however the disliking of the word 'soccer' is not because the Americans use it, although they might say it is, just to wind them up!
@  treemoon : (19 May - 06:58 PM) liverpol the match
@  Maxim : (19 May - 09:41 AM) @frstplce thanks a lot!
@  frstplce : (19 May - 03:35 AM) @Maxim It's a small glitch caused in some browsers that it causing the avatar to appear on top of the change button. But you should be able to click at least part of the button to the left of the avatar.
@  Maxim : (19 May - 12:07 AM) Hi everyone. Does anybody know? why I can't change my avatar? "change" button is inactive
@  bayernnyc : (17 May - 08:18 PM) I still prefer watching BL in German over English, preferably Lars' quality :)
@  Fapper2000 : (17 May - 06:35 PM) I'm excited that finally a non-hispanic channel has the German footy rights in the US. Fox Soccer 2 Go would be the bomb if it had Bundesliga.
@  i7x : (17 May - 03:26 PM) @mrxula Grealish didn't played so well,but i'll make more videos about him ;) Mané hattrick :D
@  ScHoolboy Q : (17 May - 03:06 PM) nobody cares about G'Man, he's a wasteman loool
@  Toño : (17 May - 09:53 AM) It was called football not because you're using your feet, but because you are ON your feet, most of the time ;)
@  frstplce : (17 May - 09:42 AM) Besides, everyone knows it makes more sense to call a game mostly involving passing with your hands football, and one played mostly with feet soccer. :huh:
@  Toño : (17 May - 09:29 AM) Back to the name of Soccershouts subject. Let's not touch Canadians, as the actual term of word 'soccer' originated in Britain at the end of the XIX century and was commonly used there. However since it appears as the popularity of 'soccer' was growning in the US, the word has been used less and less in Britain. After some research it's been found out that British people stopped using term 'soccer' about 30 years ago. Americans invented their own version of the game that they simply called 'football' in early 1900's. Assosiation Football became Soccer in America and what was called Gridiron in Britain became simply football in American language. Since 1980' the usage of the word 'soccer' has declined in British publication and where it was used, it's usually refers to an American substance.

So British people are to blame for the name ;) :P
@  frstplce : (17 May - 09:08 AM) @Fapper2000 Re-posting of links is always fine. Re-uploading is only okay if the original capper allows it.
@  Fapper2000 : (16 May - 03:28 PM) I have links to Sportschau caps where the original capper allows re-posting of the links. Is it ok to post them? I wouldn't post them if Lars was posting.

* * * * * 1 votes
FA Cup 2013-14

Liverpool v Oldham Athletic - Third Round - 05/01/2014

FA Cup 3d round Liverpool Oldham Liverpool v Oldham Oldham Athletic