Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frstplce

Now Leaving 1996

20 posts in this topic

Okay, so we're not in the 90's anymore. It was a fun time, we had the Animaniacs, Super Nintendo and AOL. Then again, some of you may not have even been born then, or old enough to remember that stuff. So it got me thinking, why do we still have limits here like everyone is still on dial-up?

As of today that is going to change. 50kb avatars? Try 350kb (500kb for premium members). 80kb signatures? Let's say 400kb for everyone. Upload space for attaching files is growing too. Because a few megs of space doesn't go very far anymore.

Profile background images have also received a bump from 150kb to 600kb (850kb Premium). If you don't already have a custom background on your profile you can add one from your control panel.

These limits are effective immediately, while supporting documents like the Posting Rules will be updated shortly to reflect the changes. So, time to break out those animated pics. No more trying to squeeze every last byte out of an image just to post it.

Edited by frstplce
Update on profile backgrounds
1 person likes this

WOW, I was wondering about this for qiite a time! Not really about why is still dial-up restriction but why new changes always goes to speed up the forum instead of make it more beauty and enjoyable to use. Now I understand why :P Welcome to the future then, I'm finally going to make my ava bigger if of course I will be able to. But I very much appreciate the new changes and lookin' forward to the better one, as for full detail profile in user's card (which is in the left side) like it was before, opportunity to change images load structure, and maybe some more fancy stuff.

Also how about for new futuristic skin in the near future as well ? ;)

I will have to look through the current skins to see how the left side user info looks. The only reason it's collapsed now is because on some of the skins that area was taking up 2-3x the amount of space posts were, which could be kind of annoying. The data is all being loaded at the same time as the rest of the page, so it isn't something that was done for speed.

As for a new skin, I am looking at a couple of new options but I don't know what qualifies as 'futuristic'. Not that forums are exactly futuristic by design though.

Also, updated Posting Rules. First update since March 2010. Just wow. Updates include the revision on size limits and revised language on posting for a younger audience. Changes below:

8. You will not have a signature image wider than 600 pixels or taller than 250 pixels (for those unfamiliar with pixels, they are roughly half a millimeter in size). Images wider than 600 pixels may break the layout for some members using lower resolutions.

Avatars over 350kb (500kb Premium) and Signatures over 400kb will be removed immediately, without warning.

9. You will remember this is a family-oriented site with many young visitors. We're not here to censor the Internet. Speak freely, but think before you post. If it isn't something you'd say to your younger sibling (or child), then you might want to rephrase your post. This is a public forum, and most content areas are openly accessible to anyone with a web browser.

Edited by frstplce

Well it's fine with users card then. I actually remember now you have been said about some time ago so I think one day you may find a solution or I can live with anyway. With data loading at the same time, I meant that pictures might be load as you approach the thread not just when you approach the post with 'em. If it's already like this then good, I might just didn't noticed it yet.

By 'futuristic' I meant something new as we get into the future :lol: Just want to know whether we can enjoy new skin theme anytime soon. Nice to know there already some options.

As for forum rules, this particular one is just great

but think before you post

That's the one of the best thing forum can teach you - in real life most of people usually rarely think hard enough and often can make some comments which can hurt someone feelings or even worse. On forums you have enough time to think carefully before post something and make yourself foolish. That's the benefit of internet conversations.

Great, thanks for the updates!

Also updated profile background sizes. Bumped from 150kb to 600kb which should allow more wallpaper sized backgrounds to be used. Details added to original post.

Updated my avatar and I must say it looks amazingly huge, and though it's much better quality now I kinda get used to the little one :lol:

Was it file size as the issue before? Because image dimensions always allowed at least 200x300 in the upload. It was just the 50kb file size limit that got most people.

Yes it was. This avatar's size is 78kb so I haven't been able upload it and used the little one which size I cannot remember exactly, but seems to be well under 50kb.

Loving my new avatar ;)

I wonder is it count as inappropriate, considering forums' rules this is a family-oriented site with many young visitors :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 52 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online